Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Life is a Box of Chocolates

My webfriend, Ryan turns 19 tomorrow. We met serendipitously on a site challenging us to daily make a small change in something in our lives. Along with a group of many "invisible" friends we comment, laugh and generally edify each other with advice and suggestions.

Ryan and I live far apart and our non-cyber lives probably have little in common aside from writing, This Young Grasshopper will succeed with a fine professional writing career in his future.We stay in touch and always comment on each other's posts. here is a conversation from this morning:

YG: Even angels need to fall so they can be there to help another soul rise, they won't give up on the one they love, even if it takes them a million tries... 

Mama: Angels don't fall. That happened before time began. They are spirits so they can float down. But since you have only one more day to be 18, I will allow you this one gaffe of poetic license.

YG: I'm not using fall in the literal meaning. Technically floating downwards could also be considered falling since when a balloon floats downwards from the sky it's still falling, just not at a rapid pace.

Mama: Angels are sentient beings and possess control capability. Balloons are inanimate objects so they cannot control their ultimate flight path. This is a difference. It may be esoteric for most but even in the poetical sense honing vocabulary choice helps paint a more precise image or direct thought which is always the writer's object. 

YG: Angels aren't proven to exist...so whether they fall or float down can't be proven either way...so isn't this all irrelevant?

Mama: How do you know? Empirical evidence isn't everything. Wind can't be seen- just the effects. Maybe it is angel wings flapping.

YG: That's just it, I don't know Mama, but I never claimed that they do or do not exist, I just said it hasn't been proven.

Mama:  Either way and by what methodology?

YG:  The methodology of my own imagination.

Mama:  So if you imagine you see an angel how will you know if it is real?

YG:  That's almost like asking: How do I know any of this is real and that I haven't been in a coma for the majority of my life imagining everything? There is no right answer.

Mama:  So you are really Barney?

YG:  ‎"I love you, you love me, we're a happy family."

Mama:   I knew we were related...

YG: Never know what I'm going to get when I "talk" to you Mama...

Mama: You betcha...

YG:  ‎"Mama you are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get." At least I think that's how the quote goes....

Mama:  Often sweet, sometimes crunchy food for thought, always some nuts.

Mama says,  "Happy Birthday, Young Grasshopper. May angels guide and keep you for many years in  whatever realm you meet them."
  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment